The fractional CO2 laser or CO2 fractional laser is a procedure for skin resurfacing as an alternative resurfacing technique other than an ablative laser or a chemical peel. The main goal of the treatment is to reduce irregularities in the skin such as fine lines, wrinkles, spots caused by sun damage, uneven colouration, and scars due to acne. Other than that, this procedure can remove other types of scars anywhere on your body. It is possible to get rid of scars following injuries or stitches scars through this procedure alone or in combination with other procedures like platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy.CO2 fractional laser treatment provides faster healing in contrast to ablative procedures. The results of scars removal via fractional laser resurfacing are permanent. This procedure can last up to 5 years if it is used to remove acne, wrinkles, or fine lines no matter which body parts were involved.
The laser skin resurfacing can remove scars on hands or other body parts effectively. Scars on your hands can bring down your confidence level and self-esteem. Laser skin resurfacing uses CO2 lasers to penetrate deep into the skin. The deep penetration promotes healing of the skin and at the same time preserve the upper layer of the skin called the epidermis.
Laser skin resurfacing produces microbeams that generate numerous small columns. The small columns microbeams will penetrate the external layer of the skin or known as the epidermis and the internal layer called dermis. These columns of heat will cause safe destruction of the inner layers of the skin and this triggers the healthy skin around the columns to start the repair process via the body’s healing mechanism. The skin will recover from the bottom-most layer and replaces the damaged skin on top. This results in improved skin complexion. The result is a more even-textured and tighter looking skin. This is different from ablative lasers that damage the epidermis to induce healing.
You must do the following to get the best result from laser skin resurfacing:
- Take a few days off as you might experience discomfort like having a sunburn
- Maintain your skin moist by drinking sufficient water and applying skin moisturizer
- Avoid outdoor activities to protect your skin from any damage by UV rays
- Apply sunblock if you still need to go out
- Do not use makeup
- Skin products containing retinoids are prohibited during the healing phase as it will just cause skin damage
Laser skin resurfacing treatment is a safe procedure. Complications following this procedure are rare. The following are the possible side effects:
The common mistakes everyone makes after the CO2 laser treatment are:
- People did not take any leave for at least a few days after the treatment. Resting indoor without any stress will ensure the best results.
- Clients forgot to maintain their skin moisture by drinking enough water and applying skin moisturizer
- Patients continue with outdoor activities expose their fragile and delicate treated skin to UV rays
- They forgot to apply sunblock
- People continue using makeup