101 Science-Backed, Evidence-Based Uses for Coconut Oil That Will Change Your Life
If you’ve been around the natural health & beauty community for any time, you’ve probably noticed that coconut oil is all the rage. From blogs to Pinterest, to magazines and books, it seems like everyone is raving about this natural oil.
Trust us, it’s not a fad.
Though coconut oil has been around since, well, coconuts were discovered, it used to have a bad rap. Because it’s over 90% saturated fat, so-called health gurus labeled it unhealthy. However, the fat content is actually beneficial in coconut oil, as it’s rich in nutrients, helps your body absorb fat-soluble vitamins, and is full of antioxidant properties.
And for beauty, cosmetic-grade coconut oil is soothing and moisturizing for your skin, and even works wonders for your hair.
As you’ll see on this list, its benefits and uses are practically endless. It’s healthy, natural, and safe for your skin, body, and even your shoes (check out #98). Whether you’re new to the coconut oil bandwagon or you’ve been riding shotgun for years, grab a bottle or two (or 10!) here and check out all the ways you can use this wonder oil!
Body and Skincare
Coconut oil should be among your staple of beauty products if it isn’t already. For best results, choose a cosmetic grade when applying coconut oil topically.
Fractionated coconut oil—in which the oil’s long-chain triglycerides are removed, leaving the medium-chain triglycerides—works great for DIY cosmetic treatments because of its long shelf life and increased stability. In addition, it won’t clog your pores like virgin coconut oil and it has a strong antioxidant effect, making it the perfect skin defender and anti-aging companion!
Check out these great uses for your skin, body and hair.
- Moisturize Your Skin: Replace your regular lotion with the refreshing and healing powers of coconut oil. It’s safe for anywhere on your body and mixes well with essential oils for an aromatherapy benefit. All you need is a coin-sized amount—once applied, give it a minute to dry. You’ll feel the difference.
- Face Mask: Clear up your complexion with a homemade face mask! Mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of raw honey. Apply the mixture to the face (be careful, it warms and softens on your face and may drip) and wait 15-20 minutes. Rinse well with warm water.
- Diminish Wrinkles: We all are looking to get rid of signs of aging. Applying a bit of coconut oil to lines and wrinkles helps rehydrate, soften skin, and improve texture.
- Puffy Eyes: Make puffy eyes go poof! Well, it’s not magic, but applying a small amount of oil around your eyes at bedtime can reduce puffiness in the morning.
- Conditioner: There isn’t a better ingredient out there to moisturize your scalp, repair split ends, and add a healthy glow to your tresses. Here’s how to use it:Continue on next page..